Apple butter is something that I am truly addicted to. It is my absolutely go-to thing to spread on a piece of delicious cinnamon raisin bread to help get me going on my day! I was lucky enough, this time around[LF1] , to use delicious apples from the tree right outside of my parent-in-law’s house[LF2] . It really doesn’t get any better than that!
Apple butter is something that I am truly addicted to. It is my absolutely go-to deliciousness to spread on a piece of cinnamon raisin toast to help get me going on my day! I was lucky enough, this time around, to use delicious apples from the tree right outside of my parent-in-law’s house. It really doesn’t get any better than that!
This recipe is so delicious, but also super easy. Nothing like throwing stuff in a crock pot and letting it do all the work!
Small-Medium Apples, peeled, cored, and quartered (enough to fit your crock pot, mine fit 38)
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 Cup of Bourbon
Juice of 1 Orange (Or 1 Lemon)
1/2 Cup Distilled Water
- Peel and core all your apples.
- Cut each apple into quarter.
- Chop each piece in 6-8 pieces.
- Place all chopped apples in crock pot.
- Add maple syrup, all spices, and citrus juice.
- Cut up orange in quarters and place in crock pot.
- Add bourbon and place your crock pot on high for 4.5 hours.
- Give a good stir and scrape the sides after 30 minutes, and add distilled water.
- Once 4.5 hours have elapsed, switch to low for 3.5 hours.
- Unplug, let cool and take out the pieces of citrus.
- Place in jars to process or freeze.
Apple Butter Makes approx. 2L
- 30 – 40ish Small-Medium Apples
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Cup Bourbon
- Juice of 1 orange (or lemon)
- 1/2 Cup Distilled Water
- Peel, core and cut your apples in quarters.
- Chop each apple quarter in 6-8 pieces. The smaller you chop the the apples, the smoother your apple butter will be.
- Place all apples in the crock pot with the maple syrup, spice and citrus juice.
- Quarter the fruit and add it to the crock pot. I usually use whatever citrus fruit I have around the house. If you want your apple butter to have a little more citrus, you can zest in the peel.
- Add your bourbon (Don’t tell my husband that I used his good stuff).
- Place your crock pot on high for 4.5 hours, scrape the sides and edges every 30 minutes or so.
- After the first half hour, add distilled water.
- If you are going for a smoother apple butter, mash the apples down after you scrape the crock pot.
- After the first 4.5 hours, switch to low for 3.5 hours.
- Unplug and let the apple butter cool.
- Make sure you take you citrus out!
- You can also strain the apple butter for a smoother consistency, but make sure to do this once it has cooled.
- You can freeze the apple butter or place in jars and process.